Curvimeter STEM Lab
Before 23.45 ordered- tomorrow delivered
Orders placed from Sunday to Friday till 23:45 will be delivered the next day. Orders placed on Saturday will be delivered on Monday.
Belgium & Luxemburg
Shipments to Belgium & Luxemburg could take 1 extra day to be shipped.
30 days warranty on parts
We regard a broken part as an exception, because we always deliver the best quality with full responsibility. But we cannot rule out a small accident.
If the purchase was made via our web-shop no more than 30 days ago, then you may order a new part from our website for free. In all the other cases you will need to pay a small handling fee. Order part here
30 days return time
You have the right to cancel your order up to 30 days after receipt without giving any reason, provided that the seal has not been broken. When the seal is broken, your order is final and can no longer be returned. If you make use of your right of withdrawal, you have another 14 days after cancellation to return your product. You will then be credited with the full order amount including shipping costs. If you make use of your right of withdrawal, the product will be returned to the entrepreneur with all accessories supplied and in its original condition and packaging. To exercise this right, please contact us via email@example.com We will send you a return label in the mail. You can print this label and stick it on the repackaged shipment. Then you can hand it in by post at no extra cost. We will then refund the order amount due within 14 days after registering your return in case the product has already been returned in good order.
9.4 review rate
You may find more than 1300 reviews (read here) which were left by our customers. They highly appreciated the delivery time, customer service, price /quality ratio and ordering process. Also we are regularly checking the reviews in order to improve our service so our clients will have positive experience and become the part of a huge UGears family.
You are welcome to join our community to collect tips & tricks from our top fans or share your beautiful models and get inspiring feedback. The name of the Facebook group is Craft Club (join here). More than 3000 experts are happy to share their experience with you and answer your questions.
Assemble it with your own hands and find out how a curvimeter works
- The model kit comes with a QR-code that will forward you to the learning guide about the mechanism, the principal of its working, the main characteristics, formulas, and interesting assignments.
- Dive into augmented reality and look at how the curvimeter works. Interact with the model via a special AR application from Ugears.
Find out about the Curvimeter’s design and how it works
The Curvimeter – or opisometer – is a device that measures the length of curved lines and helps to calculate the distance between the points on a map more precisely than a ruler or a compass.
You can rely on the curvimeter when planning a hike with your friends or a family trip – it will help you to determine the distance you’d cover to get to your destination. The device is especially useful when you have no access to any electronic gadgets or the internet.
Who invented the curvimeter and when
There is no verified information about the actual inventor of the curvimeter. Some sources say the credit of its invention belongs to the Roman engineer Virtuvius, who describes a very similar device around 23 BC. Others refer to a Chinese scholar, Zhāng Héng. Russian sources suggest that the curvimeter might have been invented by the polymath Mikhail Lomonosov who presumably initially called it “krivimetr”. All in all, the official first curvimeter patent belongs to the English engineer Edward Russell Morris who in 1873 registered “a novel device for measuring distances”.
The Curvimeter is used to measure the length of curved lines on topographic maps, charts, schemes, and plans. It is a common tool for map-makers, tourists, and road services.
The Mechanism of the curvimeter is made of:
- Measuring wheel with main and additional scales, and a hand.
- Planetary mechanism.
- Cycloidal drive.
Ugears STEM-models are designed to suit different age groups with a special focus on learning component. The assembly of the model will be interesting and won’t take much time.
STEM-lab Construction kits come with all you need in a box, which includes:
- Wooden details pre-cut with a precise high-tech laser in high-quality plywood boards, as well as other materials required for assembly. The models need no glue or additional instruments to build. The details come out of the board with a slight push.
- Step-by step illustrated assembly instruction manual.
- Practical lab tasks with use of your model.
- QR-code to download a pocket study guide about your model, its mechanism, principle of its working, main characteristics, physical and mechanical formulas, and fun practical tasks.
- QR-code to download AR-application. Fascinating innovation from Ugears – new drive to learn more new things!